The Hands-on Mission Project has been organized by the Holston Conference of the UMC for about 15 years now and each year it gets bigger. In the Maryville District (where 1st UMC is located) food buckets are filled to be taken to Zimbabwe. Other districts provide school kits, home buckets, sewing kits and other versions of the food buckets.
The food buckets collected and packed at 1st UMC will be going to the Ishe Anesu Project in Zimbabwe. Ishe Anesu means "God with Us." The mission is an after-school project designed to provide education to the underprivileged children, orphans, and the poorest of the poor.
1st UMC's goal is to pack 100 buckets!
Please bring the items in the list below to the area in front of the church office by Sunday, May 15th.
If you would like for us to shop for you, a donation of $35 will cover the total expenses.
Volunteers are needed to pack the buckets on Saturday, May 21st at 10:00 am.
- 1 bag sugar (4-5 lbs.)
- 1 bag Self-rising flour (4-5 lbs.)
- 1 bottle cooking oil (48 oz. or less)
- 1 box Splenda/Sucralose (50 ct.) *You can buy larger quantities and we will use them to fill other buckets.
- 1 package powdered milk (10 oz. or less) You can buy boxes of 3 oz. packages
- 1 box old-fashioned oats (18 oz. or less)
- 1 bag rice (2 lbs.)
- 1 bag dried beans (2 lbs.)
- Canned ham (one 2 lb. ham or two 1 lb. hams) * These are difficult to find. Food City closest to the mall should have them. You might also find them at Walmart and Kroger.
- $5 for each bucket for shipping
If you have any questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .